Thanks,

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey

On 4/10/2015 7:30 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
That I am aware of no, I've not seen examples of that type.

However it's fairly easy to do. I like remote data queues. Set up a remote
data queue on each partition. The program that listens for that data
queue entry would be able to perform an orderly shutdown. When it receives
the queue entry from the partition connected to the UPS (the program setup
to watch QUPSMSGQ), it does its thing. This program would start with the
start up program and I usually use QUSRNOMAX job queue.

When you think about it this can be used for many types of interpartition
communications limited only by your need and imagination. The program can
be written in any language (I use CL) so use your favorite.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Thomas Garvey
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 11:44 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Power Handling program?

I've seen the suggested code IBM published for a Power Outage Handling
program when the message queue defined by the QUPSMSGQ system value is
allocated.
But what can be done when a UPS is supporting a server on which multiple
partitions are defined?
What is the connection actually made between the RS232 cable from the UPS
and the IBM i? It must be simply an IBM i port monitored by some process in
a single partition, right?
In this case, how would all the partitions be notified so they can be shut
down? And, if they could all be shut down, how would the server itself be
powered off, since PWRDWNSYS doesn't actually power the server down (we do
it through the HMC, which also manages another server).

Is there an IBM document describing this circumstance?