Right, both NetServer and Samba use SMB. That's just fact :-)

You would pick Samba over NetServer if you wanted a more reliable file serving experience from IBM i I guess. I started the conversation to get IBM to bring a Samba server onboard to the i several years back, but given the timeframe for rollout and lack of information on installing and configuring it, we will most likely stick with NFS until it becomes easier.

We've had good luck with NFS so we've recommended NFS since it's been predictable and stable.

As far as using SMB over WAN, it may not be the most efficient, but many companies hook up and use SMB over a WAN.

Regards,

Richard Schoen | Director of Document Management Technologies, HelpSystems
T: + 1 952-486-6802
RJS Software Systems | A Division of HelpSystems
richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rjssoftware.com

message: 1
date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 07:08:09 -0400
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Samba

And SMB affects both NetServer and Samba, right? And is not specific to either one?
And the point of that is what?
- Advise having distributed local servers?
- Suggesting another technology, such as NFS?

And why does it perform horribly over WAN?
- Is it generally because of the large volume of data in BLOB stream files?
- Is it because of some default blocking size often set in WAN's?
- Is it because of some difference between local blocking size and that of ISP's?

Steve, not jumping on your case, really. Just trying to get the most benefit out of such a broad statement.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738