From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 2:30 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: QDSIGNON Screen

On 13-Mar-2015 12:38 -0500, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 13-Mar-2015 12:02 -0500, CRPence wrote:
On 13-Mar-2015 10:51 -0500, Graves, Chuck wrote:

Like many of us, I have my own version of the QDSIGNON screen
displaying my company name and a 5250 "image", created with the
character set we have to play with on green screens. I would like to
be able to change the colors on the screen based on a condition such
as the day of the week, or the time, or whatever.
<<SNIP>>

<<SNIP>> Data could be included from message(s); that data could
include 5250 stream control data, to include the attributes that
change colors of the output text. <<SNIP>>

And if you don't like dealing with messages, there's nothing stopping
you from creating new display files and copying one to "primary" on
its day of the week or whatever.

Locks held on the *FILE object [with attribute DSPF] to be replaced, surely would pose a problem?; i.e. likely the inability to allocate the file would cause /stopping/ of the proposed copy.?

The late-bound MSGID() data allows effecting the change dynamically; well, at least as limited by the requirement to /refresh/ the changed data either per the Enter having been pressed or by a vary-off\vary-on to get the device reallocated to a subsystem for which the display file was re-opened. The process of MRGMSGF or CHGMSGD to update the message descriptions can be done concurrent to the locks held with only a tiny window of possible unpredictable results, or similarly with DLTMSGF but possibly with slightly more predictable results still within a similar tiny window; i.e. all messages can not be added\changed atomically so as to avoid the possibility of unpredictable results due to concurrent accesses to the messages.

--
Regards, Chuck