IOA fw updates are NOT concurrent, by that i mean that depending the order
in which the HMC decides to apply them, the time between updates and how
much redundancy you configured into the VIOS (SEA with FailOver?, Same
disks presented by each VIOS to each LPAR? etc) you might experience an
outage.
While AIX updates an HBA's firmware said HBA is NOT moving data, the same
happens for the 10Gb Eth cards.
IO Updates have to be scheduled but if you have a well implemented DualVios
solution, you can do one first and the other next.

Best Regards,
Roberto