Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your answer.

A third option might be to use a BINARY mode FTP with the PUT
subcommand being used send the file data to a Printer File defined
with
the attributes noted in the override used in the above example of how

the second option was coded; or the PrtF perhaps similarly overridden

with the proper scoping to effect those attributes.

This could have been an option, but we have already implemented the
PRTSTMF command. At this point I am just trying to understand why the
QSH option didn't work for me.

As coded, both the cat utility [per -c] and the Rfile utility [per

-b] are being told to treat the data as binary. Those should be able
be tested together or separately, and if spooling then verified using

DEVTYPE(*SCS) to allow Display Spool File (DSPSPLF) or Copy Spool
File
(CPYSPLF) to verify the content on the IBM i rather than deferring to

the recipient [e.g. the printer] to interpret the content.

Issuing both QSH commands using DEVTYPE(*SCS) resulted in a 170 page
spoolfile with unreadable characters. When tested separately as you
suggested, it looks to me like the problem is in the cat command. When
looking in the file as it is stored on the IFS, the first couple of
lines look like this:

%PDF-1.4
%¬½¼¡
4 0 obj
<<

/Producer (Apache FOP Version 0.95)
/CreationDate (D:20140331095738+02'00')

When I issue the cat command (cat -c file.pdf) the result looks like
this:

&àã

¨çj ¢{° àèøàéjw \Øtäj£ «e é£Ô àMÉø oñÀÝ ÿ¯`Õòºÿ 7=,€¨õùÅÕ'O[
°Üc
ê ãÑ%ÈÁÊ ã%/ÈÁàÁÄ?ÀÁ ËÈÊÁ/_ Ìæ¸oÏèëgõ¨ ¨&k «m},Çê ç

~ì ÷XEhý»Å-

And this goes on for a very long time (170 pages?). When I change the
CCSID of my PDF document and then look in the file again, the content
looks like the result of the cat command. So it looks like cat is
changing the data.

What release? TR? Cumulative? I would first test separately,
the
results of both the 'cat -c' and the 'Rfile -b' to verify those
switches
for those utilities perform as expected.

Right now we are using V6R1, upgrade to V7R1 in currently being
scheduled.

FWiW the usage shown quoted above seems quite near identical to
the
2nd Rfile example shown in the "Rfile - Read or write record files"
documentation, showing the /same/ activity for a .PS file type
instead
of .PDF:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzahz/rzahzrfile.htm>
"...

This is one of the examples I used when trying to build my own
solution. Only the results are different.

Regards,
Erwin Donker

De disclaimer van toepassing op e-mail van de gemeente Den Haag vindt u
op:

http://www.denhaag.nl/disclaimer