On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Vernon Hamberg
<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
New stuff will be announced when ready. I see that Python was mentioned in a
public blog as something to be brought under this umbrella. I think John
Yeung will be ecstatic!! Now no promises, right?

You may have missed my response to Tim Rowe earlier (depending on the
threading algorithm, it could have shown up as a different
"conversation"). It's exciting, and I am definitely looking forward
to finally having IBM's official stamp of approval for Python on the
i; but it's also a little sad in that it likely means the end of any
further development in the iSeriesPython project.

For me personally, the ideal scenario would be that Per Gummedal's
work forms the basis of IBM's Python for i, but it's difficult for me
to imagine that coming to pass. Instead, IBM has probably had their
own working-but-not-ready-for-full-public-release PASE-based Python
build for many years, and now they are just cleaning things up, maybe
doing a little sanding and polishing. Maybe they need to work on the
Python bindings for the DB2 and ILE interoperability toolkits.

As you say, no promises have been made. And even assuming Python is
the next option for 5733OPS, a lot remains to be seen. For example,
if IBM has had a working, internal-use Python build for as long as I
suspect, and they decide to polish and release that, it may well be an
old version of Python. (Don't get me wrong; an old version is better
than no version by a country mile!)

John Y.