To stop the migration of IBM i applications to say Windows, there is a lot
of good advice in recent modernization Redbooks and other sources. I'd
highlight the following:

Normalize the database to 3rd normal form and clean up the data (invalid
values, referential integrity concerns).

Remove data validation, RI constraints, and business rules from
"applications", and place that code in "handlers" triggered by DB I/O
events.

Deploy a Web Portal to handle all authentication, authorization, and
application access concerns.

Divide applications into modular ILE components, including DB I/O modules,
browser I/O modules, and programs which dispatch HTTP requests to
appropriate I/O handlers.

Convert to RPG free.

Use dynamic SQL for inquiry and report purposes.

Convert report programs to generate HTML, and optionally transform it to
PDFs for precise printing.

Support mobile (hand held) devices.

Extend applications to customers and business partners - not just internal
users.

Do new types of applications, such as some form of social networking.

Look for opportunities to migrate data off other platforms to IBM i,
supported by new applications deployed using the suggestions above.

Nathan.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:37 AM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>