Gary:

File reorganizations will recover permanent storage space. Spool files also reside in permanent space.

RCLTMPSTG iwas introduced circa V2R1, when OS/400 added the CPROBJ and DCPOBJ commands, so users could compress objects that are not frequently used, to save disk space, back when disk sizes were much smaller and disk space was at a premium. The idea was, OS/400 detect swhen an object was compressed and "temporarily" de-compress that object for use; the system kept track of how often those objects were used, and the system could decide when to permanently decompress frequently used objects.

On the really small AS/400 models like the model D04, E04, etc., IBM shipped OS/400 with all objects compressed by CPROBJ -- the OS would decompress the ones that were actually used -- this was important because of very limited DASD capacity on those small models of AS/400. Disk space for objects that were "temporarily" de-compressed was reclaimed on each IPL, or when you ran the RCLTMPSPC command.

In this century, DASD sizes are vastly larger and most POWER systems (and System i) have far more DASD installed than any AS/400 model could ever have, and so, as far as I know, basically, no one does that any more (compress objects with CPROBJ to save a little disk space).

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 2/18/2015 11:49 AM, Monnier, Gary wrote:
File reorganizations might help. Maybe Reclaim Spool Storage (RCLSPLSTG)? Possibly Reclaim Temporary Storage (RCLTMPSTG)?