@federation server: it's not running on as400, you would need an additional non as400 server with DB2 and its very expensive
@commercial pendant to ArdGate: its called DBGate by Razlee, but I don't think, that they have too much installations. ArdGate came out earlier and its easier for open source to get installations.
@join in distributed databases: IMHO distributed joins are not as good as it looks at the first glance. Optimisation and performance is critical and DB2/400 provided capabilities fro scripting solutions long before three part alias (that's only a marketing gag). You could pull subsets of data from diffrent systems very easy, using STRQMQRY RDB(xxx) OUTFILE(yyy) redirecting the output to the local system and join the subsets of data afterwards. If it's not possible to reduce the amount of data transferred this way, another strategy would be replication (by triggers for instance) to a remote system. Using ArdGate you could implement both strategies even with by the fly generated scripts. Commercial solutions are going this way too and sometimes they are pulling even big tables completely from one system to the other, before joining the data.

D*B