On 2/12/2015 5:29 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
Could you point me to Scott Klements examples?

For the archives, useful search keywords are 'Klement POI'.
http://www.scottklement.com/poi/

When you convert these, is this a manual or automated process?

Scott's articles discuss (and provide) a service program that is a front
end (wrapper) for Java HSSF / XSSF / POI classes. The Java POI project
has gone through the effort of writing Java code to do most of the
spreadsheet things. Create a workbook, create a row, format a cell, etc.

Scott's service program lets you invoke these Java functions from an HLL
program (say, RPG). Trying to be brief, the service program lets you
write to (and read from) a spreadsheet but your bigger problem is
figuring out what data to write.

If you go this route, you'll need to write some sort of front end that
reads a spooled file (JT400 can do this if you know a Java person) and
figures out which lines are the detail lines.

One can also use Python and xlwt - it's pretty easy even for me, a
decidedly non-Python programmer.