As much as we like to think our favorite system is indestructible the
truth is it isn't. Sure with Raid 5, adequate backups and whatnot you're
doing pretty good. Again, that system isn't saving those spool files, but
other than that...
However, catastrophes can happen. Even on this system. I know there are
members of this list who know of systems that lost more than one drive
when they were raid 5 protected and had to reload. Each of my Power 8's
have already experienced a drive loss.

Here's one from my experience. Local hospital (McCray Memorial,
Kendallville IN). Three of my children were born there. It was a short
walk from my house. Only building on the lake inside of town. Rest is
all park and campgrounds. They experienced a catastrophic data loss. They
were not running any forerunner of IBM i but that still doesn't mean
catastrophic data loss couldn't occur on IBM i and it's forerunners. No
adequate backup. My wife caught a temporary job there rekeying data. To
no avail. Hospital went bankrupt. They razed it to the ground and built
a library where it used to stand.
The big chain hospital built the new hospital out on the edge of town. Of
course they destroyed the woods and pond where I once duck hunted. They
may wonder why their grounds is always covered with a few hundred geese.