As I stated earlier, I was able to get IWS to return XML for 4 dimensioned data structures using a *pgm that has parameters that IWS sees as output structures. Note that the IWS Test function throws an error if I don't load a zero in each of the numeric "count" fields (and all numeric ds subfields) in the request inputs.

I have not included the prototypes for my attempts that didn't work (there were many!), but...

Here is the prototype and referenced data structures for the *pgm version that permits me to define the actual dimensions where I get the desired XML result:
====================
DCL-PR EBPPGETDTL;
Account char(7) CONST;
PhoneIn char(13) CONST;
Email char(64) CONST;
AccountDetails LikeDS(Set1);
PhonesCount INT(10);
Phone LIKEDS(Set2) DIM(32);
PDFsCount INT(10);
PDF LIKEDS(Set3) DIM(16);
PaymentsCount INT(10);
Payment LIKEDS(Set4) DIM(16);
EmailCount INT(10);
EmailAddr LIKEDS(Set5) DIM(16);
END-PR ;

// fields that pertain to the account
DCL-DS Set1 QUALIFIED INZ;
Success IND;
MsgText CHAR(128);
DateDue CHAR(10);
NextAutoPayDate CHAR(10);
END-DS ;

// fields that pertain to each phone number
DCL-DS Set2 QUALIFIED INZ;
PhoneNumber PACKED(10:0);
Autopay IND;
NoPaper IND;
Notify IND;
AmtDue PACKED(8:2);
BankRouting PACKED(9:0);
BankAccount CHAR(16);
AccountType CHAR(1);
END-DS ;

// fields that pertain to each PDF available to view
DCL-DS Set3 QUALIFIED INZ;
PDFname CHAR(23);
END-DS ;

// fields that pertain to the prior payments
DCL-DS Set4 QUALIFIED INZ;
PhoneNumber PACKED(10:0);
Amount PACKED(8:2);
PaidDate CHAR(10);
Status CHAR(16);
END-DS;

DCL-DS Set5 QUALIFIED INZ;
PhoneNumber PACKED(10:0);
EmailTo CHAR(50);
END-DS;
====================

I agree that the IWS Test function is not all I would like it to be, but it shows me the following output from my test data. Note that this test only loaded two of the four array data structures, so you don't see the "PDF" and "EmailAddr" tags or the tags for their subfields.
====================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<EBPPGETDTL>
<ACCOUNTDETAILS>
<SUCCESS>1</SUCCESS>
<MSGTEXT>Customer account is valid</MSGTEXT>
<DATEDUE>2015-01-11</DATEDUE>
<NEXTAUTOPAYDATE>2014-08-07</NEXTAUTOPAYDATE>
</ACCOUNTDETAILS>
<PHONESCOUNT>2</PHONESCOUNT>
<PHONE>
<PHONENUMBER>5296278</PHONENUMBER>