Yeah, I think we're getting somewhere.
oem_setup_env
allowed me to
cd /
mkdir viosupgrade
cd viosupgrade
ftp myftpserver
mget...

started downloading just fine, then Abort!
150 Retrieving file /rob/viosupgrade/U866128.bff
U866128.bff: There is not enough space in the file system.
226 File transfer completed successfully.
226 ABOR subcommand received; no transfer in progress.
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
150 Retrieving file /rob/viosupgrade/U866129.bff
U866129.bff: There is not enough space in the file system.
226 File transfer completed successfully.
226 ABOR subcommand received; no transfer in progress.
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
quit
ls
U860270.bff U861142.bff
U860272.bff U861143.bff
U860273.bff U861144.bff
U860274.bff U861146.bff
U860275.bff ck_sum.bff
U861074.bff perf.analysis__1_1.2.0.1.bff

# lsvg rootvg
VOLUME GROUP: rootvg VG IDENTIFIER:
00f9440500004c0000000147
1d270903
VG STATE: active PP SIZE: 512
megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION: read/write TOTAL PPs: 1056 (540672
megabytes)
MAX LVs: 256 FREE PPs: 954 (488448
megabytes)
LVs: 13 USED PPs: 102 (52224
megabytes)
OPEN LVs: 12 QUORUM: 1 (Disabled)

TOTAL PVs: 2 VG DESCRIPTORS: 3
STALE PVs: 0 STALE PPs: 0
ACTIVE PVs: 2 AUTO ON: yes
MAX PPs per VG: 32512
MAX PPs per PV: 1016 MAX PVs: 32
LTG size (Dynamic): 256 kilobyte(s) AUTO SYNC: no
HOT SPARE: no BB POLICY: relocatable

PV RESTRICTION: none INFINITE RETRY: no
DISK BLOCK SIZE: 512 CRITICAL VG: no
#