Hi John

At some level, everything we use is a black box - and that applies to everything from "normal" RPG opcodes to RPG %bifs to SQL functions (no %bifs in SQL!) - and all the way back to assembly language instead of raw machine code.

You speak of being in control - yes, that might have some benefit - but every time we use a language, a further abstraction, we give "full" control to someone else. There's always a trade-off - easier development vs. maybe the most extreme optimization or knowing exACTly what is happening - I guess I don't need to know the details so much.

You say that using SQL, "...you think that something will bite you in the future..." - I just don't see that as valid - again, we COULD be bit by everything any language or abstraction gives us to use. SQL is VERY standardaized - I don't worry about something breaking as to syntax and all.

I'm going to go out on a limb here - I think our efforts are better spent on making procedures for our business processes and less on writing "better" versions of functions readily available, either through native RPG or embedded SQL.

Oh yeah - everything we do in RPG ends up as a CALL to something - native stuff calls the RPG engine, embedded SQL calls the SQL engine - an engine in either case - just look at the actual code used in an SQLRPGLE - calls to the same program repeatedly. I compare this to the Open Access handler concept - YOU give the system the program to be called instead of the RPG engine - everything is a call to something

Just thinking too early in the morning!
Vern