From: CRPence [mailto:CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:46 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can I use DDS to create an SQL table name

On 24-Oct-2014 12:18 -0500, Mike Cunningham wrote:
Chuck, what about access to the improved key indexing that an SQL
defined table gives you?

I am unsure what is alluded. Can a link be provided?

Given a SQL TABLE is a non-keyed database *FILE, and a keyed SQL TABLE is a database *FILE with a PRIMARY KEY CONSTRAINT or UNIQUE KEY CONSTRAINT, then the equivalent DDS PF is achieved with Add Physical File Constraint (ADDPFCST). Effectively there is *no difference* between the two files with regard to the keyed access path (ACCPTH); the underlying support for /indexing/ [and enforcement] is identical, as provided by the identical LIC DB methods betwixt, irrespective the choice of those two means used to define the files and their keys.

An INDEX can be created on [a single-member] PF, and like the AccPth of a constraint index, the keyed access path of the SQL INDEX is created and treated identically [by the LIC database] no matter whether the underlying physical data comes from either of a DDS PF or a SQL TABLE.

And then there is always the future to consider. My crystal ball says
at some point IBM will pull the plug completely on DDS for database
definitions just like it has pulled the plug on SEU. To their credit,
they have not gone the path of some other companies who have said
change your ways or don't upgrade, they have given us many years to
make the switch. So I don't see the demise of DDS anytime soon but 5
years from now I'm not so sure.

And I suppose the future of /QDLS similarly shows support for *DOC and *FLR going away.? Even if not, merely per having portended the demise of the Data Description Specification support, I would expect that crystal ball is due for maintenance or an upgrade to a newer model :-)

Until the system is reincarnated [much like the s/38 and s/36 were reincarnated as the AS/400, and the respective legacy "environments"
provided], I very much doubt the DDS would be pulled; even if the implication is only for the specifications capability for defining database Logical File (LF) and Physical File (PF) [as if the compiler might continue to enable processing DDS for DSPF and PRTF?]. The DDS is effectively dead already however, with regard to database files, because there was\is no intention to support [with DDS keywords\etc.] any new SQL data-types and features. Even so, the DDS compiler continues to function to create DBFs, and I would expect that compiler to continue to function in perpetuity just like I would expect with the run-time of OV/400, Query/400, DFU, and many other features. If the DDS compiler had been an optionally-installed LPP, only then would I expect any possible consideration for the removal of that compiler; too much code [including some OS code] have dependencies on that OS feature.

Most who know me understand that I would never offer a guarantee, and that I would be unlikely to bet, except on that which is all but guaranteed. But on that specific matter, I must admit that I would be quite willing to place a bet. I am confident the demise of the OS would precede the demise of the ability to Create Physical File (CRTPF) or Create Logical File (CRTLF) from DDS, and just as certain that the demise of the OS would transpire as a direct result given an inability to create database files from DDS; i.e. I expect few customers would be willing or able to accept that effect, as a loss considered to be a /bridge too far/, and I doubt the loss would be an impetus for a slew of new customers to take their place.

--
Regards, Chuck