On 10/9/2014 10:41 AM, Thomas Garvey wrote:

Is it possible to have a green screen IBM i program place data on a PC's
clipboard?

If you wrote your own emulator (or modified one of the open source
emulators) you could use special data in the 5250 data stream that the
emulator would recognise and act upon. If you were comfortable with
that idea it probably would have occurred to you already.

Can a green screen program be written that does X and then automatically
places it's results on the clipboard so the user can simply Alt-Tab to
the browser
and paste the results into the web application? If the green screen
program can place data on the clipboard, maybe it could perform the
Alt-Tab and Ctrl-V (paste) as well?

Probably not, but there is a way to get close that is a bit out of the
box. I use a program called Auto Hot Key for things like this - times
when I want to integrate two disparate Windows applications that haven't
got a decent API. AHK enables one to write a script that will press
keyboard keys (like Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V), use the mouse to drag and select
and switch between windows. Here's a script that will select a name and
address (from a customer inquiry screen), copy it to the clipboard,
start Word, fire up the envelope function, paste and then print the
envelope. To use it, the end user gets to the inquiry screen and
presses Ctrl-E. A few moments later, an addressed envelope prints on
her printer.

^e::

MouseClick, left, 390, 483
Sleep, 300
MouseClickDrag, left, 137, 197, 604, 288
Sleep, 500
Send, {ALTDOWN}e{ALTUP}c
Sleep, 500

IfWinExist Document1 - Microsoft Word
{
WinActivate
}
else
{
Run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
WinWait Document1 - Microsoft Word
WinActivate
}

Sleep, 1200
Send !m
sleep, 800
Send !e
sleep, 800
send ^v
sleep, 800
send !p
sleep, 800
WinMinimize
sleep, 800
MouseClick, left, 408, 510
Sleep, 500

return

AHK can do lots of stuff; maybe this will give you some ideas.
--buck