Bradley

I hope that you are not deliving real time data on the stock market

5 seconds is like a decade in that market ;-)

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've done this too, but not with async... just polling.

Each transaction/page on the web system has a unique ID that is available
to the backend system. The backend server program updates a file with
status changes with simple ILE subprocedures. ie,

#status_setStatus(ID:'Processing record n of n....');

The web system polls using that transaction ID to get the most recent
status while an AJAX function is running. So, we can easily program status
updates for any request (which are normally done via AJAX).

Normally we set this to poll every 5 seconds during an AJAX call. It could
really be set to anything, though.

Works slick, and if you use Gmail and open up a developer tools when
entering an email, or even with Google docs you can see it does something
very similar to save progress while you type so you don't lose the message.

Both simple and effective.

Brad
www.bvstools.com