QTEMP may be thought of as safe gun handling.
- Always check to see if it's loaded before handling.
- Always ensure it is unloaded before storing or handing to the next
person.
- Even if someone else was supposed to ensure it was unloaded before
storing or handing to you, check it yourself.

While doing the
DLTF QTEMP/WORKFILE
MONMSG CPF0000
before you create your workfile, what happens if the next called program
also creates an object called QTEMP/WORKFILE? While, yes, shop standards
may indicate he should have had the previous two lines in his program, and
if he gets burned a lesson learned hard is a lesson learned well, somehow
the blame always seems to come back to me. It would have been my fault
for having left the WORKFILE there in the previous program.

And, yes, I have shot a hole in the center of my inlaw's dining room
ceiling on Thanksgiving Day. From a bolt action gun that I worked the
bolt several times and no shell ejected before I pulled the trigger. A
swollen cartridge was in there which the extractor would not pull out.

Which brings me to my next point. What was wrong with the two lines of
code above? As repeated below,
DLTF QTEMP/WORKFILE
MONMSG CPF0000

If you said why CPF0000? you're right. CPF0000 is lazy! That's like
assuming that every error on an RPG WRITE is due to a duplicate key error
and not referential integrity, check constraints, triggers, etc. What
happens if the message was CPF.... where the message indicated that the
table could not be deleted because there was a dependent logical file on
it? Or if the file was still open? In this case you should have done the
MONMSG CPF2105.
Visually inspect the chamber. If it's too dark, shove your pinky up in
there to ensure it's empty. A lesson I learned the hard way in the
military and yet forgot in civilian life. It's really embarassing to be
able to field strip an M16 blind folded yet fail because when you shove
the cleaning rod into it a round falls out.