First Thanks Sue for your support here.

So to expand a bit. here's what I would like to do
VIOS owns a SAS card that will support tape
I want to share to be able to to do 2 basic tasks.
#1 Use 2 ports on that 1 card from 2 different IBM i LPARS at the same time.
#2 It would be great just to Vary OFF a drive in one LPAR and Vary it On
in other

Side Question.. Could I do the same above in a Linux LPAR? AIX?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Sue Baker <sue.baker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kirk Goins <kirkgoins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 24 Sep 2014
23:48:33 GMT:

With Power8 unless you buy something bigger than an 8core you
have very limited cards slots. I would really like to use a
single SAS card with multiple ports in different partitions at
the same time. Can this be done in VIOS and/or IBM I?

No, the entire card goes to a single LPAR.

With either IBM i or VIOS, you can create the mapping so tape
device 1 on port 1 goes to lpar1, tape device 2 on port 2 goes
to lpar2, etc.

--
Sue
IBM Americas Advanced Technical Sales Support (ATS) Power