After more research, I found this problem is NOT always occurring for this job.
Also found the source for the 3rd party vendors program.
The job does send many messages to programs message q.
I believe these messages are filling up the program message, which result in the job message q filling, which sometimes results is a CPI2417, but not always.
The job log is not full, but job message.
This job also sends to a dtaq.
If the other job on the system that reads this dataq is not running, the dataq also fills up.
S001NITE19 trp1 message - Storage limit exceeded for data queue PTMDTAQ001.
However, I'm not sure if the filling of the dataq is related.

My next question is does a job have more than one message q, one for the joblog and one for program messages?

CSR ZASNMS BEGSR
*===================================================
* Send message to program's message queue
C IF ZAPGMQ = ' '
C MOVEL ZZPGM ZAPGMQ
C END
* If no message file specified, use default
C IF ZAMSGF = ' '
C MOVEL ZADFMF ZAMSGF
C END
C CALL 'Y2SNMGC'