Rob / Charles

I found out why most installs fail if not run as QSECOFR, and how to fix them.
If the original install was done as QSECOFR, then you probably need QSECOFR or equivalent for the next upgrade etc, (delete objects, etc)

However, If you do a new clean install as another user, and use a group profile as the owner, I have successfully installed and ran 3rd party software not as QSECOFR.
I wasn't allowed to put this into production.
I created a copy of QSECOFR, ran the job as ISECOFR, everything ran fine for months, but I got caught, "Why is that job not running as QSECOFR"
If something would fail for an authority issue, I'll get "I told you so" "You must listen to how they tell you do install, don't question and try to do it your way"

They never give a detailed explanation of why it must be QSECOFR.

Another issue with QSECOFR, only allowed in basic job scheduler, AJS does not allow it.

Below is one example.

Create a Job Scheduler entry (ADDJOBSCDE).
The following is a more specific example you could use if your IPL happened nightly:
ADDJOBSCDE CMD(CALL PGM(NIXXXXPGMS/NIMLISTNCL) PARM('3786' QGPL NIM8XJOBD))
FRQ(*WEEKLY) SCDDATE(*NONE) SCDDAY(*ALL) SCDTIME('hh:mm:ss') JOBD(QGPL/
NIM8XJOBD)
JOBQ(QGPL/QINTER) USER(QSECOFR) TEXT('NIM TCPIP C/S Dispatcher')

While it is recommended to use the QSECOFR user ID, it is not necessary to set the USER
parameter to QSECOFR as above, but the user parameter you supply must have the following
authorities:
􀁹 *ALLOBJ authority. It is responsible for validating AS/400 user profiles and passwords when
client connection requests are received.
􀁹 *USE authority for objects QSYS/QSYGETPH and QSYS/QSYRLSPH.

Paul