If a spoolfile is in use, status of *OPN, it cannot be saved.
In my nightly full SWA, there are always some spoolfiles in the *OPN status which cannot be saved at this time.

CPD33A8 Diagnostic 20 03/14/14 22:03:11.548371 QSPSAVQ QSYS 082D QSRSVPRE QSYS 0DCB
Message . . . . : Spooled file TCP_PRINTF number 1 in job
394330/CPAJSLAN/TIVO_I01P not available for save.
Cause . . . . . : Spooled file TCP_PRINTF number 1 in job
394330/CPAJSLAN/TIVO_I01P created on system PENCOR05 on 03/13/14 10:12:18 is
currently open and cannot be saved at this time. Recovery . . . : Try the
request again when the spooled file becomes available. The spooled file was
not saved from output queue JOHNS in library QUSRSYS.

CPF3771 Diagnostic 30 03/15/14 00:06:47.248740 Q1AXCMD2 QBRM *STMT Q1ACSLIB QBRM *STMT
From module . . . . . . . . : Q1AXCMD
From procedure . . . . . . : ReceiveMessages
Statement . . . . . . . . . : 68
To module . . . . . . . . . : Q1ACSLIB
To procedure . . . . . . . : Q1ACSLIB
Statement . . . . . . . . . : 1493
Message . . . . : 4545 objects saved from QUSRSYS. 0 not saved.
Cause . . . . . : -- 4545 objects were saved. -- 254492 spooled files were
saved. -- 0 objects were not saved. -- 14 spooled files were not saved. Data
was saved from library QUSRSYS on volumes 001076 001180 sequence number
4850 at 03/14/14 22:02:54. The save operation ended on volume 001180. If
UPDHST(*YES) was specified, the save/restore history information was updated
for each saved object. Recovery . . . : Diagnostic messages were issued
for each object that was not saved. Press F10 or use the Display Job Log
(DSPJOBLOG) command to see the previously listed messages. Correct any
errors and try the request again.
Paul