On 12/14/2013 11:28 AM, Jon Paris wrote:
I seem to recall that the primary difference when configuring a VPN
connection is that I need to use the system name, IP, whatever that
I would use _inside_ the local network. Not necessarily the same as
the one I would normally use to connect from outside.e

Absolutely true ... when you are using a VPN, you are essentially INSIDE the network.

It's the responsibility of the VPN configuration to provide the necessary DNS servers to resolve addresses correctly.

IMO, a properly configured VPN should allow you to connect to systems that might have external IP's regardless if you are physically inside the network, connected via VPN, or external. The difference being, you have more access to the systems when physically inside the network or connected via VPN.

david