Heaven forbid that I should disagree with David and Dr. F but ... actually "disagree" is not the right word - "explain to a fellow know-little like myself" would be more appropriate.

I seem to recall that the primary difference when configuring a VPN connection is that I need to use the system name, IP, whatever that I would use _inside_ the local network. Not necessarily the same as the one I would normally use to connect from outside. In my case to connect from outside I use systemideveleloper.com - within the confines of the VPN I simply use ideveloper as if I were on the local LAN. That almost certainly an over simplification but it is the way that I remember it.

On 2013-12-14, at 11:08 AM, DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Agree with David. The VPN is at Level three in the network stack while
IBM i Access is an application and works in the higher layers. First
assure the VPN is working then IBM i Access should work just fine.

Absolutely check name resolution as that's critical. Use NSLOOKUP
server.domain.tld to verify resolution. This also tells you the name
server IP address that responded. This can also be important because
many VPN connections change your DNS server(s). This is so you get
private IP addresses for the services across the VPN while still getting
public IPs for the google et. al.

That said be aware that many VPNs block ICMP traffic (PING et. al.) so
don't panic if PING doesn't work. Instead use CWBPING server.domain.tld
to veryify the connection. This program attempts to connect to each of
the required servers including telnet and reports success or failure on
each port.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com