On 05-Dec-2013 14:11 -0800, Sam_L wrote:
SI40758 - OSP SPOOLED FILES STUCK IN PRT, WTR, OR PND STATUS, EVEN AFT

We are having symptoms on one printer that seem to match the PTF
description. We can clean up the OUTQ with STRSPLRCL.

From what I can tell this is a V6R1 PTF:
Page says "Cum Level... C1102610".

<http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3b08afece70b14995862577a1006e3ec3>
<http://www.ibm.com/systems/electronic/support/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/ALLPTFS/SI40758>
PTF: SI40758 APAR: SE44477

FWiW: The page indicates also more explicitly, Release=V6R1M0

How can I tell if we have this PTF applied? We are at V7R1 with the
Feb cume applied. DSPPTF only shows V7R1 PTFs as far as I can see.

PTFs are release-specific. That v6r1 OS PTF can only be applied to the V6r1 OS. What you would need to find is the /equivalent PTF/ for your release. Normally that is done by finding the equivalent PTF on the "FIX CROSS REFERENCE"; i.e. on the list that cross references PTFs from v6r1m0 with those available or pending on v7r1m0.

Unfortunately, that PTF SI40758 is not properly documented on the PTF Cross Reference. You could report that omission as an issue against the document found here:
<http://www-912.ibm.com/systems/electronic/support/s_dir/sline003.nsf/PSP%20Number%20View/SF97040>
_i Preventive Service Planning - PSP i_
_V6R1M0-V6R1M1 TO V7R1M0 FIX CROSS-REFERENCE SUMMARY_ Release - 7.1
SF97040

Because the v6r1m0 OS PTF is not included in the above document for SF97040, the association with a v7r1m0 PTF is not easily located where it should be documented.

However easily enough, the PTF can be searched on the web or IBM support; done by searching for a /like/ APAR. I found the following with a web search on the /title/ of the APAR:
<www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3d9b53ed18fcc4633862577de0005e0a6>
<http://www.ibm.com/systems/electronic/support/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/ALLPTFS/SI41911>
_i SI41911 - OSP SPOOLED FILES STUCK IN PRT, WTR, OR PND STATUS ... i_
Software version: V7R1M0
Reference #: SI41911
APAR SE45871
Release v7r1m0
Cumulative C1116710"

If we have it applied, and try to apply it again, what will happen?

If the PTF SI41911 is already applied, then the problem is apparently not *the same* as that documented in those APARs, and therefore this new issue might best be reported to your service provider... or some other PTF or action researched as a possible correction.

Beyond that, the question is effectively rendered moot by the above /release-specific/ comments, but not explicitly. So, if interested why that would be the case...

As noted above, you would not be able to load the PTF on a v7r1 system. As to the v7r1 PTF, apparently equivalent to the v6r1 PTF albeit not explicitly listed in the PTF xref, the load would fail because the PTF is already applied. The existing PTF would have to be permanently removed before the same PTF could be re-loaded and re-applied, but doing that likely would be for naught, unless the version already applied had been applied as a /test PTF/ instead of the final\GA PTF and the testPTF was broken and different; i.e. the applied PTF and a newly ordered copy of the PTF typically should be the same binary image of the Generally Available PTF.