Chuck,

Nope, I'm fully aware of the difficulties posed by mixed case passwords at
QPWDLVL=0...

I always make sure my all all lower case.

Charles

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM, CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 27-Nov-2013 11:53 -0800, Charles Wilt wrote:
<<SNIP>>
I also found this IBM doc
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1018627
_QNTC and CPDB053 - Error Exchanging Security Information_
Technote (troubleshooting) Reference #: N1018627
"...
+ I am getting Error Class 1 Return Code 5, what can I do to fix it?
If the USRPRF in question does have a matching user-ID that can sign on
to the target server, it is time to check the password settings. Does
the target server require the use of a mixed-case password (for example,
Password, paSSword, PASSword)? If this is required, review the previous
section 'What i5/OS settings will affect QNTC authentication?',
specifically the statements about sysval QPWDLVL. If QPWDLVL is set to
level 0, QNTC will send the password in all lowercase.
..."

Now, I double and triple checked that my use ID and password matched
between Windows & the i. I could in fact access the IBM i Netserver
from a PC without issue.

running 7.1 with password level 0 (yeah, that's on my to-change
list) PC in question is running WinXP.

My password was 6 characters, 2 digits and one special character,
a dollar sign $.

I changed both Win & System i passwords, and removed the $ and QNTC
worked.

I've been unable to find anywhere that lists special characters to
stay away from if you use QNTC...But I expected the simple ones, @#_
to be fine.

While the above snippet from the KB article already says so, I
realize what is described can be easily overlooked... and a specific
example might help...

Perhaps the issue was unrelated to the dollar sign. Any chance that
the password had an upper-case character before the change, for example
previously "rx7M$2" was the password and after the change "rx7ms2" was
the password? With QPWDLVL=0 the value "rx7m$2" would have been passed,
but the IBM i as server would not care which of upper\lower case had
come in.

--
Regards, Chuck