nope, didn't start with Q...

Charles

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

By any chance did your password begin with a Q? Because, well, look at
this:

crtusrprf dummy password(Q123456)
and I can sign on with a password of either Q123456 or 123456
chgusrprf dummy password(queen)
and I can only sign on with a password of queen and not ueen.
It kind of came that way to support S/36 users who had 4 character
passwords and were often numeric (like their phone extension).

I've also heard to avoid the dollar sign as that's not an invariant
character.

Iron Mountain recently came up with highly restrictive passwords. They
have to include characters (upper AND lower case), numbers and various
special characters. And be at least a certain number of characters. Bad
enough, and I only use it when I back up our BOFH so it's prone to me
forgetting it, that I put it into a txt file in my PC's startup group. The
laptop's version of a sticky note stuck to the bottom of the keyboard.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738