Sorry, the chart didn't come thru as desired.

Here's a link.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/dbp/rbaforeorgtypes.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:00 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: estimating RGZPFM runtime

Below chart is good summary of all the options.

We use *SHRUPD so not to cause an issue with any apps.

RRN was not an issue with an of our apps.

REUSEDLT records however is an issue with about 30 PF. (3rd party app)

RGZPFM FILE(&MBLIB/&MBFILE) MBR(&MBNAME) +

RBDACCPTH(*NO) ALWCANCEL(*YES) +

LOCK(*SHRUPD) /* rgzpfm while active */ ________________________________ Reorganization options You can specify whether the reorganize operation on a physical file member can or cannot be canceled. Consider the features of each option when deciding which option to use.

* ALWCANCEL(*NO): This is the traditional type of reorganize operation. A full copy of the data might be made, so you need up to two times the amount of space. This option cannot be canceled (suspended) and cannot fully run in parallel. It requires exclusive use of the physical file member.

* ALWCANCEL(*YES): The data rows are moved within the physical file member so that a full copy of the data is not required. The physical file must be journaled, however, so storage is necessary for the journal entries. You can use the journal receiver threshold to minimize the amount of storage used in a specific journal receiver.

This option can be canceled (suspended) and restarted. It can run in parallel if the DB2(r) Symmetric Multiprocessing option is installed. To control the amount of resources used by the reorganize operation, you might want to change the query attributes using the Change Query Attributes (CHGQRYA) CL command or using Change Query Attributes from iSeries(tm) Navigator.

This option requires exclusive use for only a few seconds after the reorganize operation is complete to return storage to the system. If the exclusive lock cannot be acquired, a warning message is sent to the job log indicating that space cannot be recovered. To recover the space, you can start the reorganization again when no concurrent users are accessing the file member. The reorganize operation then immediately attempts to recover the space before starting the reorganization. If concurrent data changes have occurred since the initial reorganize operation, only a portion of the space might be recovered.

If LOCK(*EXCLRD) or LOCK(*SHRUPD) is specified, the result of the reorganize operation is not guaranteed to be exact, because concurrent users might be locking rows or changing rows in the file member.

[cid:image001.gif@01CEE51E.893CDD10]The type of reorganize operation that you decide to use depends on several factors. For example, is your goal to recover space, or is the sequence of the rows important? Is it important that the reorganize operation can be canceled (suspended)? Is it important to allow concurrent access to the physical file member? Use the following table to determine which option is most appropriate based on these factors. The shaded entries (which are also identified by an asterisk) are the characteristics of a key file option that make its choice particularly desirable.[cid:image002.gif@01CEE51E.893CDD10]

ALWCANCEL(*NO)

ALWCANCEL(*YES)

KEYFILE(*NONE)

KEYFILE(*FILE or keyfile)

KEYFILE (*RPLDLTRCD)

KEYFILE(*NONE)

KEYFILE(*FILE or keyfile)

Cancel and restart

No

No

Yes*

Yes*

Yes*

Concurrent access

No

No

Yes*

Yes*

Yes*

Parallel processing

Only index rebuilds

Only index rebuilds

Data movement and index rebuilds*

Data movement and index rebuilds*

Data movement and index rebuilds*

Non-parallel performance

Very fast

Fast

Very fast*

Slower*

Slowest*

Temporary storage

Double data storage

Double data storage

Journal receiver storage*

Journal receiver storage*

Journal receiver storage*

LIFO KEYFILE index processing

N/A

Duplicates reversed

N/A*

N/A*

Duplicate ordering preserved*

Index processing (non-KEYFILE)

Synchronous or asynchronous rebuilds*

Synchronous or asynchronous rebuilds*

Maintain indexes or synchronous or asynchronous rebuilds*

Maintain indexes or synchronous or asynchronous rebuilds*

Maintain indexes or synchronous or asynchronous rebuilds*

Final row position exact

Yes*

Yes*

Only if LOCK(*EXCL) and not restarted

Only if LOCK(*EXCL) and not restarted

Only if LOCK(*EXCL) and not restarted

Amount of CPU and I/O used

Smallest*

Next smallest*

Smallest

More

Most

Variable lengths segment reorganize

Good*

Good*

Worse

Worse

Worse

Allows referential integrity parents and FILE LINK CONTROL DataLinks

Yes*

Yes*

No

No

No

Allows QTEMP and database cross-reference files

Yes*

Yes*

No

No

No

Replication cost

Minimal (one journal entry)*

Minimal (one journal entry)*

More (journal entries for all rows moved)

Most (journal entries for all rows moved)

Most (journal entries for all rows moved)