CIOs have to trust their people. Back when I was on the farm my Uncle
would give me a task and I would pick the equipment for it, he didn't
say "use the John Deere" etc.

I disagree.

In MOST skilled positions in most sizable organizations throughout history, skill levels have bubbled up to the top positions.

For example, a Chief Surgeon at your state medical teaching hospital may not have done any surgery in 10 years. But when a cluster of patients start dying on the table, hospital mgmt wants a surgeon running the surgery group so he/she can get to the issue/root cause and remedy the situation - without relying on hear-say of underlings.

Same for a Flight Operations group. When American Airlines has a spike of near-misses, they don't want an MBA for a Chief Pilot - they want one of their most experienced pilots who is able to sort out the facts from the CYA going on in the ranks.

But for IT, which is the most complex part of most modern businesses, top management doesn't seem interested in having a techie in the CIO spot.

(Nothing against MBA's of course).

Its nothing to do with trust or religion. When things go south in IT - which they sometimes do - it takes a sleuth techie to dig thru the haystack and find the needle.

Maybe there just aren't any techies out there that are CIO material, but that doesn't seem possible to me.