From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:25 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Hardware Courses for iSeries

Don,

Go ahead, pop the cover on a POWER 7 box. Drop the power, immediately.
(not all models but a very high percentage of them) Go ahead, pop the cover
on a peripheral box. Heat it up to melt point.

Great advise......

I'm sure the boss would love to pay IBM to replace all the really expensive
stuff because you were routing around "looking" at stuff.

Pete's comment about NON-production systems needs to be taken very
seriously. One of my customers popped a Fibre card in to an 0595 (POWER
5 box) right next to a LVD tape controller and Ethernet card. Next thing
you know the IOP is failing. Pull the fibre card, all is well.
That would not have happened if the customer had planned that out in the
System Planning Tool, and asked questions. Meanwhile yellow lights, upset
users, and a really cheesed off Director. (the wisdom of the Ethernet card
next to the tape controller is a question for one of my competitors design
guy)

Asking questions, seeking knowledge, experimenting on a test system designed
and built to be a test system, a good thing, but looking even without
touching can be dangerous.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects