On 07 Sep 2013 17:09, Neil Palmer wrote:
<<SNIP>>
quote rcmd LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(VIRTUALTAP) OPTION(*UNLOAD) DEV(TAPVRT01)
quote rcmd rmvlnk '/asp02/virtualtape/VOL001'
(NOTE: this will take a fair amount of time, long enough for the FTP
command connection to timeout and disconnect because it doesn't send
periodic status update messages like a PUT command does to keep it
alive, so don't have any more FTP batch commands after the rmvlnk)

<<SNIP>>
quote rcmd LODIMGCLGE VIRTUALTAP *VOL *UNLOAD VOL(NITEV1) DEV(TAPVRT01)
quote rcmd LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(VIRTUALTAP) OPTION(*UNLOAD) DEV(TAPVRT01)
put /virtualtape/VOL001 /asp02/virtualtape/VOL001
noop <<< PUT sends status update msgs
noop which keeps FTP command connection alive >>>
<<SNIP>>

FWiW: The implication about why the connection remains active is deceptive. Refer to the server support for subcommand TIME, to learn how to adjust the amount of time to allow for work on the server to complete before a connection is terminated. Note the second parameter which defines the time allowed for a file-transfer, which is a limit irrespective of the transfer status messaging. With the IBM i as the FTP server, issue the following request to get the help text describing the feature; for convenience, the reply as presented on an older system, follows that request:

quote help time

214-TIME <inactivity> <transfer>: Sets server time-out values for this FTP session.
214- <inactivity> is the inactivity time-out in seconds.
214- <transfer> (optional) is the file transfer time-out in seconds.
214-Example: TIME 900.
214 More information is available in the TCP/IP Configuration and Reference, SC41-5420

So... Early in the FTP script, the following request would ask the server to allow for ten minutes of work [e.g. as effected by quote rcmd <cmd-string>] at the server, to complete without timing-out:

quote time 600