I realize this thread is almost a month old, but just wanted to add my 5 cents worth (we eliminated pennies in Canada).

This is what I set up for one of my customers who does not have and High Availability software, and has limited disk arms:
- Primary system: 1 ASP, 8 disk arms, one parity set
- Backup system: 2 ASPS, each with 4 disks in a parity set on a separate controller.  Image catalog is in ASP 2, everything else in ASP 1.

- Nightly backup goes directly to LTO-5 for speed
- As the backup starts it submits a batch job to unmount image catalog on backup system and delete previous backup
          quote rcmd LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(VIRTUALTAP) OPTION(*UNLOAD) DEV(TAPVRT01)
          quote rcmd rmvlnk '/asp02/virtualtape/VOL001'
(NOTE: this will take a fair amount of time, long enough for the FTP command connection to timeout and disconnect because it doesn't send periodic status update messages like a PUT command does to keep it alive, so don't have any more FTP batch commands after the rmvlnk)

- End of backup restarts QINTER to allow users back on system, end of backup submits job to run DUPTAP from LTO-5 to Virtual Tape
- Backup program submits another batch job to run DSPTAP report from virtual tape as it only takes a few seconds
- Backup program submits another batch job to FTP virtual tape from IFS to backup system (IFS in ASP 2), and kick off restore program
          quote rcmd LODIMGCLGE VIRTUALTAP *VOL *UNLOAD VOL(NITEV1) DEV(TAPVRT01)
          quote rcmd LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(VIRTUALTAP) OPTION(*UNLOAD) DEV(TAPVRT01)
          put /virtualtape/VOL001 /asp02/virtualtape/VOL001       <<< PUT sends status update msgs which keeps FTP command connection alive >>>
          quote rcmd LODIMGCLGE VIRTUALTAP *VOL *LOAD VOL(NITEV1) DEV(TAPVRT01)
          quote rcmd LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(VIRTUALTAP) OPTION(*LOAD) DEV(TAPVRT01)
          quote rcmd SBMJOB CMD(RST720NTSV TAPVRT01 *YES) JOB(RST720NTSV) JOBQ(QCTL)

The restore job on backup system runs from QCTL and takes system down to batch restricted state, does RSTUSRPRF *ALL as first restore step, RSTAUT *ALL as last step before restarting the controlling subsystem..

Neil Palmer, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)