From: Matt Olson <Matt.Olson@xxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:47 PM
Subject: RE: iSeries public WEB access, PCI security issues

Nathan,  Just an FYI so I can open your eyes a bit more.

Your web server (relational-data.com) running PHP 5.2.5, Apache 2.0.63 currently has 92 PHP security vulnerabilities, and 17 Apache security vulnerabilities.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-74/product_id-128/version_id-50739/PHP-PHP-5.2.5.html
http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-45/product_id-66/version_id-80725/Apache-Http-Server-2.0.63.html

Still feeling confident in housing your card holder data on that same box and 100% confident that there is no way to get at card holder data on that box if it existed or would you do what the PCI guidelines are stating and separate that box out into different primary functions to mitigate exposure risks from the above 92 PHP and 17 apache vulnerabilities?

The correct answer is to split them out.

The reasoning is so simple I can understand why you are missing the point.  You can NOT trust software is written 100% bug free.  Therefore to minimize risk in the software stack you split things out as to lessen the blow when things do get exploited.