Thanks Chuck.

I am going to see about getting a SAVSYS done. Then DLTPTF and see how
much can be cleaned up.

John McKee

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM, CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28 Aug 2013 06:21, John McKee wrote:
<<SNIP>>
Yesterday, I permanently applied all PTFs not requiring an IPL.
Then, set the others to apply during next IPL. I initiated the IPL
and all went well.

I was looking for some ancient PTFs that I had previously seen in
QGPL that had been located by ANZOBJCVN. I was surprised by the
large number of SAVF still in QGPL.

For instance, DSPPTF for 5722999 shows MF41260 as permanently
applied.

<<SNIP>> The SAVF is named QMF41260. Could this be a duplicate and
thus just be deleted?

<<SNIP>>

There may be valid reasons a PTF save file is not deleted as part of
the *PERM apply. If the save file is not registered in *SERVICE, then
the file may be deleted using DLTF just as any other *FILE object,
without any ill effects. The PTF save file can be registered to
*SERVICE [UPDPTFINF], if not already, and then the file can be deleted
using DLTPTF to avoid any ill effects from instead having used DLTF.
Some information that may be of interest:

IBM Technote ref: N1018941 ¿previously?: 435294308
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1018941
_i Update PTF Information (UPDPTFINF) i_
"...
Generally, this command is run only during (or after) a complete system
recovery and only after library QGPL has been restored. This is a new
command made available starting with V5R4M0 release.

However, there are other instances where this command can be used.
..."

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/cl/updptfinf.htm
_i Update PTF Information (UPDPTFINF) i_

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzam8/rzam8fixcleanup1.htm
_i Cleaning up fixes i_
"... it might be time to delete your save files and cover letters for
i5/OS® fixes.

Over time, save files and cover letters for fixes tend to accumulate.
After you have permanently installed a fix and performed a SAVSYS
operation, you might want to delete the fix save file and cover letter
if you do not need to distribute it to another system and if you are
satisfied that the fix is not defective. Once a fix has been permanently
installed and the save file is deleted, all information about the fix
except the status information is also deleted. By deleting the save
file, you can make more room on your system for other files.

Parent topic: _Using software fixes_

_Deleting save files with iSeries Navigator_

iSeries® Navigator provides you with a way to delete save files and
cover letters for fixes that are no longer needed. To clean up your save
files and cover letters, follow these steps:

_Deleting save files with the DLTPTF command_

From the character-based interface, use the Delete Program Temporary
Fix (DLTPTF) command to delete PTF save files and cover letters. Do not
use the Delete File (DLTF) command to delete PTF save files. If you use
the DLTF command, the PTF function will not detect that you deleted the
save file.

..."

--
Regards, Chuck