The web can be pretty much up to the application. For example, I have web
sites served by Domino running on IBM i. To those I log in using my
Domino credentials. Probably less than 5% of the people in Domino on
those machines even have an IBM i account on that lpar. (Especially since
we've segregated our domino load to different lpars than our erp load.)
If you set up log in based on ldap you can configure multiple columns from
your ldap to be used. For example, if your ldap is Domino based and you
serve up Domino name (like Rob Berendt), short name (rberendt), email
address (rob@...) and so on, and you set your application to use any of
those attributes from the ldap they can log on via any of them. Domino
allows you to use "directory assistance" to chain multiple address books
together. For example your companies standard Domino address book along
with an additional address book containing trading partners. Now serve
that up via Domino ldap and you can access that ldap by a WAS based
application (etc). Hey, if I can do a ldapsearch using qsh on it...