James

I think you add more to what you already have. This is similar to filtering on dates when they are stored in 3 fields.

BTW, I would make it FOO = rather than FOO <= . That's a small point, perhaps.

For the date thing, say you want to select all dates before May 6, 2012 - it'd be something like -

year < 2012 or (year = 2012 and month < 5) or (year = 2012 and month = 5 and day < 6)

Now an alternative is to concatenate character representations. Trouble with this? It is likely to perform relatively badly, due to using functions. I think some of the new indexing techniques handle this better.

HTH
Vern