A VIEW can not be created over a flat file :-( Besides, any extra file is really unnecessary and unnecessarily complex [minimally, adds something to be deleted], because the OPNQRYF could do any desired selection work with only a truly temporary ODP vs a /temporary/ permanent file object... and presumably without adding any complexity to the CL compile. Most notably, nothing about using the SQE vs CQE for a flat file would probably matter, if even there were any requirement; i.e. no WHERE clause was ever shown... the desired data may be in the first and only row. And even so, repeated RCVF and compare within the CLP for the desired row might be just as efficient. Yet depending on the provenance of the file and the nature of how the data was produced, an OVRDBF request might even enable positioning directly to the desired row on the first RCVF; i.e. upon the open.

Regards, Chuck