On 14 Jun 2013 05:22, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
<<SNIP>> start a new thread - in other words, don't reply with a
changed subject. <<SNIP>>

For reference only... The above is quoted text from the archives, a message with the Subject: "Re: JDE Software Installation.":

This message, my message, was composed as a *new* message rather than having been composed as a *reply to* any message [regardless text from the message shown at that archive link has been included as context for my *new* message thread].

I offer a slight revision to what Vern suggests in his reply:

To start a new thread, *compose a new message* with an email client [or News client]. The *new message* should be addressed to the email *list* [or to the NewsServer]. Do *not* attempt to start a new thread by using the *reply* feature of the email client [or NewsReader client].

That alternative wording is offered, because there may be actual value to sometimes use a /changed subject line/ to reply *within* an existing thread. That might be done to correct a misspelled word in the subject line [e.g. "blah email attachemnets" revised to "blah email attachments"] or otherwise to clarify the discussion with a subject line that better describes the topic [e.g. "help me" revised to "error XYZ on the ABC statement in a CLP", or to indicate that the specific reply within the thread has a narrowed or broadened focus as compared to the original\opening post ["JDE sfw install" revised to "verification of JDE sfw installation"]. In each of those cases the reply is validly a continuation of the discussion within the same overall topic, and each reply has legitimately changed\corrected the subject line while continuing the conversation in the same thread; i.e. there was little reason to start a new topic vs simply refining the subject line to clarify the topic of the reply. In that manner, a conversation can branch slightly, yet still be maintained as one topic within a discussion /thread/ both within a NewsReader and within the archives. And FWiW, while corrected spelling might seem like a nit, for using Ctrl-F [or similar] to find within a page, e.g. within the thread index to locate a topic on a particular subject, or to find a message in a web search, the proper spelling may have relevance and value over the misspelling.

A review of the archives for this month shows that, to date, twice there are *replies* sent to a message within an existing topic in order to start what was conspicuously meant to be a *new* topic; i.e. see the "thread index":
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201306/
"...
# Re: Anyone running Linux on Power hardware? , Jack Kingsley
# What's an IASP? , James H. H. Lampert
..."

Note: Because the archives lose formatting per compression of what are regarded as /white space/ :-( the "»" character was used in the above quotation of what is presented by the archives, in order to represent some blanks\spaces that would otherwise be compressed; i.e. that character is used to reflect the indenting that /visually/ implies threading of messages.