It sounds like your job that checks QINTER does not simply end subsystem QINTER but selectively ends them based on their status. Is a status of DSC check for?

You could alter this job to also check each QINTER job's object locks (Retrieve Job Locks (QWCRJBLK) API). This API provides the information used in DSPJOB JOB(*) OPTION(*JOBLCK). You would at least know if there are any files open.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Victor Hunt
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 9:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Terminated Interactive Job Impacts Nightly Processing

I have a interactive inventory inquiry program that users run throughout the day. This program calls many other programs to gather information about current inventory levels (items in transit between facilities, items backordered, etc.).

On Wednesday at 16:45, a user went into this program using his client (iAccess for Windows), did some work, and then hit the "red X" and closed the session (he normally doesn't do this). There were no messages of any kind in QSYSOPR or in DSPLOG for this session.

Our nightly process runs at 21:00, that night a number of processes did not complete due to locked files (mostly file reorgs). At 00:15 on Thursday we see an entry in DSPLOG where the users session is finally ended due to the QINACTITV time-out, which is set to 150 minutes. QINACTMSGQ is set to *ENDJOB.

In addition, we have a job that runs 15 minutes before our nightly job that kills all the jobs in QINTER. This job reported no running jobs in QINTER Wednesday night.

At this point, It appears that this users incorrectly ended job held files open causing the nightly process to fail.

We are running 7.1 with cummlative PTF's last applied about 3 months ago.
iAccess for Windows on the users PC (which is WIndows 7 with current fixes) is at the latest level.

A Google search turned up some related information, but nothing directly helpful. IBM Fix Central turned up a PTF (SI46398) that addresses QINACTITV issues that we do not have on our system which may be part of the problem.

We are left pondering this issue. It has never happened before, to the best of our knowledge. Why don't we see any evidence that this job was running after the user ended it at 16:50 or so until the timeout at 00:15, some almost 8 hours later? It doesn't appear that the QINACTITV timer worked even though it should have trigger a number of times in the 8 hour period.

DSPLOG shows the session start at 14:17 and then end at 00:15 with nothing else. There is a job log for the session showing various activity from
14:17 until 16:48 when they hit the X, and then nothing until the timeout at 00:15.

The program is compiled DFTACTGRP(*NO) and ACTGRP('IN'). The called programs are also compiled with DFTACTGRP(*NO) but some have different activation groups.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks.