On 20 May 2013 21:10, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
My previous testing has confirmed that SWA does nothing for IFS
objects, only lengthens the SAV time. The wait time you refer to only
applies to objects in libraries, not IFS objects. IFS objects do not
have a wait time with SWA, it is immediate. If the IFS SWA hits a
locked object, it simply skips it and moves on.

I am skeptical of a no-wait lock, if the SWA is also skipping those objects but taking significantly longer than a non-SWA.... but I accept your conclusion, because I have too little knowledge or practical experience outside of database objects. But I do know about the implementation of the stream file, which is effectively the same as a database member and a dataspace; i.e. same object types but different subtypes, so many implementations are very similar between the database and the stream file.

But AFaIK my comments about the initial lock required for SWA to get the snapshot and then dropping its lock so that then any other jobs can do whatever to the non-/QSYS.LIB objects including obtaining and holding locks is accurate; i.e. the SWA is functional for stream files just as for database files. As I recall, database files have the same requirement that the member.data not be exclusively locked in order for the SWA to get its lock and the snapshot. I just make a quick cursory glance at an IBM Redpaper document and the implication seems exactly as I described.... and I found no indication that "SWA does nothing for" stream file objects.

A link to the document:
http://iprodeveloper.com/development/redpaper-explains-ragged-save-while-active-0
"A new Redpaper, Improve Whole System Backups with the New Save-While-Active Function (REDP-7200-00), explains V5R3's new "ragged" Save-While-Active capability in comparison to the previous Save-While-Active feature available in earlier versions of OS/400.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp7200.pdf
"

The search that led me there:
http://www.google.com/search?q="save+while+active"+"stream+files";