Thanks for the tip on Cygwin! I'll check it out.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 5/16/2013 8:56 AM, brad.lovelady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I completely concur with everything Jim advised. I too developed my own frequent VIOS command list that contains references to the adjacent IBMi command when applicable. This really helps those heritage IBMi guys who have never operated on a Unix based platform.

As for the VIOS shell and its sensitivity....big pain for me in the beginning too. This is especially true when you are configuring device details for SAN LUNs where the command is 60-70 characters long and not intuitive at all. I found that even if you backspace and correct inaccuracies that PuTTY will still sometimes send garbage characters to the VIOS shell causing commands to fail. For this reason, I suggest using Cygwin as a SSH client instead of PuTTY. Cygwin is much better at passing the command into the VIOS shell and I rarely if ever have those garbage text interpretive issues anymore.

Bradford Lovelady

Operating Systems Engineer
Technology Infrastructure Services

Wells Fargo Bank l 200 Wildwood Pkwy l Birmingham, AL 35209
MAC W2691-010
Tel 205-938-1999 l Cell 205-826-2834

brad.lovelady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wells Fargo Confidential

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.