A client of mine told me they've signed up for V5R4 extended support after
September. I've no details on cost, SLAs, etc.

Your vendors can provide updates to support newer OS releases. Consider it
a good opportunity to get current on your ISV apps. Just do the app
updates before you do the OS upgrade so you don't change too many things at
once.

EOL for 6.1 has not been announced; it's still being marketed. Check here
every few months for updates:
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/suptschedule.html.
Note that IBM will give you at least a year, and likely a fair bit more,
notice before ending support for a release. And typically that notice will
come at least a year after the marketing period ends meaning right now you
probably have _at least_ 2 years of 6.1 support and probably much more.

I'll let someone else speak to the other questions.