You need to have 5733SC1 *BASE and option 1 installed on the IBM i side and start the SSH daemon with STRTCPSVR(*SSHD).

Next use a program such as Putty to create a tunnel to IBM i. In Putty navigate to 'Connection' then 'SSH' then 'Tunnels' You need to create one forward for each port needed. For Mocha you can simply do port 23. For IBM i Access you need 449, 23, and some of the 847x ports.

Put 23 in the Source Port box
Put the IP name followed by ':23' in the destination port
Check the 'Local' radio button and the 'Auto' button (Defaults)
Click "ADD"
Repeat for each needed port.

Now back on the 'Session' menu at the top of putty enter the host name (typically same as the IP name used for the forwarding) and check the SSH radio button.

BE SURE to SAVE this session or you'll need to do it all again. :-)

Now click 'Open' and then log in. This session needs to be left open because it is hosting the tunnel to your IBM i server. You won't see anything in the window so I usually make it very small and stick it in the corner so I know it's there. You can minimize it of course.

Finally open a connection to address 127.0.0.1, the loopback address of your PC. What you'll get is a connection through the tunnel to IBM i.

For homework, you can create and exchange keys between your PC and iBM i so that there is no logon required for the Tunnel session.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com