When I was doing a lot of travel, I would try and read the same
magazines the CIO/CFO had access to. I would see what the other
platforms and OS's were touting and develop my counter points. That
worked on more than one occasion.

Richard Schoen <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/10/2013 12:04 PM >>>
I for one would like to hear Trevor say more than "Call it IBM i and
the world will be magically better" :-)

Trevor please provide some empirical evidence that you would provide to
a 30-something CIO/CFO who is making a business application decision to
sway them on purchasing an IBM i based solution over any other platform.

It's not about the marketing. It's about the apps and ROI.

Short of RPG, CL and COBOL - PHP, Java and all the rest of the
development environments can run on any OS.

I love the OS as much as you do, but it's not just about the OS any
more.

It's more about the Power Servers and running multiple OS's. That's
the cool stuff.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Fri, 10 May 2013 14:47:26 -0400
from: Trevor <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: AS/400 Server.

Booth,

OUR personal preferences do not matter. IBM does not market to the old
5250 RPGII programmer. IBM has branded the platform IBM i for a strong
future with Power Systems. And, they have stuck with it for FIVE
years?
and shown us charts with a future for IBM i until 2026 - at least!

Branding is not a programmer's skill, but it seems like a lot of very
old
programmers cannot get with the new brand. It was simply not that
problem
when the AS/400 replaced the S/38 and S/36, but for some reason, it is
with IBM i on Power. The only difference is the age of the programmer.
All
that means is that somewhere, we all got to be Tired Old Grumpies, and
we
no longer want to move off our comfy chair. So we complain.

If we want the future to include IBM i, we have to start referencing
IBM i
and all the amazing things it can do. Using old branding, complaining
about the branding, complaining about the marketing, complaining,
complaining, complaining, is what happens on internet forums related
our platform. But not from the YiPs, not from those who still have
passion, and not from those who wish to promote the platform and
continue
their career with the platform.

So, when we complain about "dunderheads in IBM's marketing offices",
we
are showing that we are simply not connected to IBM's marketing. When
we
whine about how our preferred name is better than the one chosen by
IBM,
we are showing our lack of marketing skills. All in all, when there is
bunch of noise from a bunch of TOGs, the rest of the world perceives
our
platform as long dead and gone. If we simply looked where the marketing
is
happening, if we simply researched what the power of IBM i on Power is
(yes, I said that), if we simply did a little more homework than
midrange-L, we would see that IBM i on Power IS the platform we have,
and
it is pretty amazing.

Then, when all the negative noise stops, and we - as a community - get
back to bragging about how amazing IBM i really is, then other people
will
want some of what we have. Shall we step up to 20i3, or stay in 1999?

Trevor