I am interested to know if it would have ever been possible to include
HTML, CSS and Javascript within the 5250 data stream. After all, 5250 and
HTTP are both stateless protocols. Send the data stream down to the client.
Then independently get back a response stream.

I don't know if 5250 has an escape sequence capability. Say a hex'17'
starts the escape sequence. And the 5250 device will ignore all data that
follows until another hex'17'. Or something like that.

The purpose being that regular 5250 terminals would not see the HTML code.
But an emulator running on the PC would be enhanced to process the HTML as
if it were a browser.

And of course the workstation controller and DSPF would have to be able to
handle the response data in the form of the query string and form data.

I am curious if this was ever possible, if IBM ever considered taking 5250
to the next level, so to speak.

-Steve