NFS on i works much the same as linux/Unix.

There are points in the IFS that are shared (EXPORTed is the UNIX term) making them available to other servers and clients. These are stored in the file /etc/EXPORTS (Yeah all caps, ironic eh?). This file is read when you use the STRNFSSVR command making those points available. You can also use the EXPORTFS command to create exports on the fly. (The unix command is EXPORT but that one was already used in IBM i)

Now you need to connect the 'client' server to the export point. This is done with the MOUNT command. Essentially an NFS mount overlays an existing directory name with the remote export. So it's a good idea (though not mandatory) that the directory you are mounting over is empty. :-)

There's a bit more to it than this of course but those are the basic blocks of it.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com