From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John McKee
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 11:51 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: IPL question

The mess that happened last week was traced to a modification. The
modification was in a startup program. We don't use (apparently) a
modified QSTRUPPGM. Instead, an autostart job is involved. That job
had a modification applied that requested if the startup should
continue. I don't know yet, and maybe never will, why that message
was not viewable on QSYSOPR. It is my understanding that the purpose
was to prevent users from jumping onto the system when maintenance was
being done. My thought was that maybe CHGIPLA might have been
better.......

However, that brings up another issue:

Every week for at least the last 15 years, the system was IPLed every
week. This goes back to CISC. We are now on v5r4m0. IPL is now
every two weeks. Nowhere near current on PTFs.

Question was asked of me: Do we even need to IPL anymore?

I have seen mention of IPL quarterly, and even longer. Does PTF level
make any difference?

Boss is reluctant to apply PTFs as he does not want to break
something. With years of no maintenance, I wondered months ago about
blowing the link loader.

Wonderful to be riding a ship to the bottom of the ocean.........

John McKee