I had to take a second look at this, too. We do have public and private declarations in VB, for example. Privacy is about scope or visibility, I think. Global vs local, perhaps.

Programs and their parameters are basically global. Anything can call them. Procedures can be made local to a program or service program.

So although you can have only programs, which may seem simpler, the ability to hide some of those in an ILE module has potential benefit in terms of maintenance, which is a matter of future cost to a company.

In all this discussion, I have had an idea forming - benefits of ILE can be examined in different aspects - final performance (probably not the main benefit), development effort (this is probably future benefit, might seem more work at the start). And other categories.

JMHO early in the morning!
Vern