As I recall, the system uses lots of watches. I don't have access to a recent-enough system, so I wonder if there is an option to display something - option 5, perhaps?

The documentation says these can be started from all kinds of traces. I'm sure you can find info by pressing F1 on that screen.

Watches are very lightweight as to performance impact. The code stream for sending messages has to check in any case whether there are watches defined for that particular message - not knowing how it's implemented, I can imagine an index or keyed file - doesn't matter, it'll be fast. So adding watches has almost no effect on things, until there is a match, of course, and you WANT that to happen.

The program specified is called as part of the job stream, so you will have to wait for the called program to finish.

HTH
Vern