OK, I did my final test yesterday morning and this is what I ended up with
as a BRMS control group (this probably won't format well):

10 *EXIT BKPBRMEXT BACKUP(*FULLACTIVE) WHEN(*BEFORE)
20 *EXIT BKPBRMEXT BACKUP(*FULLACTIVE) WHEN(*ATSTART)
30 *SAVSYS *DFTACT
40 UPSLIB *SYSBAS *DFTACT *YES *NO
50 QMPGDATA *SYSBAS *DFTACT *YES *NO
60 *EXIT BKPRSTNRM
70 *IBM *DFTACT *YES *LIB BACKUPS *NONE
80 *ALLUSR *SYSBAS *DFTACT *YES *LIB BACKUPS *NONE
90 *ALLDLO *DFTACT *YES *YES
100 *EXIT ENDSBS SBS(QHTTPSVR) DELAY(60) ENDSBSOPT(*NOJOBLOG)
110 *LINK *ALLAVL *DFTACT *YES *YES BACKUPS *NONE
120 *EXIT STRSBS SBSD(QHTTPSVR/QHTTPSVR)
130 *EXIT STRTCPSVR SERVER(*HTTP) HTTPSVR(*ALL)
140 ALLSPLF *SPL *DFTACT
150 *EXIT BKPBRMEXT BACKUP(*FULLACTIVE) WHEN(*ATEND)
160 *EXIT BKPBRMEXT BACKUP(*FULLACTIVE) WHEN(*AFTER)

Stuff for you to know:

1) It is BRMS *CONSOLE processing, so the system automatically enters
restricted state.

2) The *EXIT points at seq 10, 20, 150, and 160 is a CL program BKPBRMEXT I
wrote that does housekeeping such as sending messages and/or emails,
stop/start order processing, journal maintenance, hold/release the journal
maintenance job scheduler job, UPS monitoring, etc.

3) The *EXIT point at seq 60 is a CL program BKPRSTNRM I wrote that starts
the controlling subsystem. My startup CL program puts an entry on a data
queue when finished. This *EXIT waits up to 10 minutes on that data queue
entry. If not received within 10 minutes, it moves on (it actually takes
only about 1 minute). After this step, the entire system is back active
except the journal receiver maintenance job scheduler job is not yet
released. (That happens at the very end.)

4) The *EXIT points at seq 100, 120, and 130 are to stop/start the QHTTPSVR
subsystem so that the *LINK at seq 110 will save everything without issue.

5) The omit list in BRMS ("QLNKOMT") omits the following in the *LINK save
at seq 110:
/Bytware/StandGuard/AV/logs
/FAXD01/RCVFAX
/easy400apc/logs
/QIBM/UserData/OS400/MGTC/service

Timings:

From the start of the backup to the message "Subsystem QCTL started"
(meaning restricted state is being lifted) is 14 minutes. It takes a few
minutes for everything else to get going, but restricted state has been
reduced to no more than 20 minutes.

For seq 100 through 130. The time from "Subsystem QHTTPSVR ending in
progress." to "Subsystem QHTTPSVR started." is 20 minutes. The *LINK save
takes a while!

The grand total time for the backup was 87 minutes, of which ~20 minutes
was restricted state. Before, when the entire backup was in restricted
state, the grand total time was 74 minutes.

I will trade the extra 13 or so minutes for the entire process in exchange
for getting down to 20 minutes in restricted state.

This backup will run at 3am when, normally, no one will be on the system
save maybe the night crew manager. So I don't know exactly how well it
would work in the middle of the day when everyone is banging away on the
keyboard.

Many, many, many thanks to a number of people here who offered suggestions
and gave answers to my questions. I ask far more questions here than I
ever answer. I do not know how I would survive in this job without
midrange dot com.